I have been on my game lately people! I don’t know about you but I am so proud of myself for how frequently I have been posting! It’s probably because I have been sick the past couple of weeks or that it was syllabus week, even though that doesn’t exist in grad school… But anyways, I will be keeping up the good work *pats self on back*.
This week I made Chocolate Salted Carmel Protein Energy Balls, woo that’s a mouthful to say (and to eat). These balls are perfect for a pre or post workout bite, quick breakfast, mid-day snack, or even dessert. Filled with oats, plant protein and lots of yummy, and healthy mix-ins these balls will be on anyone’s meal prep must-haves.
With my busy schedule, I love having quick and easy snacks that are great for on the go. I’m either heading straight from work to class or am on campus all day so I always have a lunch bag filled with healthy eats to munch on throughout the day. Gotta feed your belly and your brain! Most of my lunches consist of yogurt with some granola and fruit (packed separately to mix in when ready to eat), rice cake and peanut butter, protein bars (Lara bars or Perfect Bars are my favs), and veggies with hummus. Sometimes I get lazy and bring the whole bag of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Pretzels to mindlessly eat in between classes. I’ve been wanting to make these for a while because they reminded me of a bite-size version of my fav breakfast, overnight oats, and the ingredients are super similar. So if you’re looking for a yummy, filling, protein-packed snack to fuel your brain and body whenever you need, this recipe is for you! Also don’t be afraid if you don’t like Salted Caramel, that’s just the particular protein powder I used but you can use any protein powder that goes with peanut butter and chocolate flavors or completely make this recipe your own and do it your way!
Chocolate Salted Carmel Protein Energy Balls
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20-30 mins
Makes about 12-20 Balls (depending on how big you roll them)
Simple No Bake Chocolate Energy Balls are perfect for breakfast, pre/post workout bite, midday snack, or even dessert! They’re packed with protein and taste like a Chocolate Salted Carmel, Peanut Butter Cookie hybrid.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup salted caramel protein powder (2 scoops)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- 2-4 tablespoons almond milk
- Combine oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, chia seed, flax seed, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in peanut butter, honey, chopped dates, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. The mixture should be sticky but crumbly (like you’re making a streusel topping).
- Slowly add in almond milk one tablespoon at a time, mixing with your hands. It’s gonna be messy but that’s the fun in cooking! The mixture should not be too dry but shouldn’t be too wet or balls won’t hold their shape.
- Roll into balls with your hand. You can make em big or small depending on how you like em.
- Place in a single layer in a container with room between each ball and set in the fridge for at least 30-45 minutes.
- After they set they’re ready to eat! Enjoy munchin!
Snap a pic of your homemade Protein Energy Balls for Instagram with #DoseofDana of tag me @DoseOfDana in your final product! Let me know if you enjoyed this recipe and subscribe to get your daily Dose of Dana! Keep an eye out for my HIIT cardio workout comin soon!