Hey beaches, I’m back and I’m better than ever! Sorry I have been MIA the past week or so, I have been busy getting back into the groove of things here in Tampa and just trying to figure my life out a bit before the semester begins. Not to mention catching up with friends that I haven’t seen all summer. BTW I made my Sweet and Spicy Salmon Soba Noodle Bowls again for my friends last week (but subbed the salmon for chicken) and they loveeeed it, so get it together and go try it out!
This weeks recipe is the bomb.com you’re gonna fricken love it. Do you love burrito bowls but don’t wanna overindulge at Chipotle? If you’re like me you go HAM at Chipotle and get every single topping they have, why? Because you can! So if that sounds like you and you don’t want to break your bank or your stomach then try my Chicken & Quinoa Burrito Bowls for a healthy take on Tex Mex/taco bowls. They’re easy as 1,2,3 and take about 30 min to put it all together. Call me the next Rachel Ray America! But seriously they are a perfect week night meal or for your Sunday weekly meal prep. This is another one of my bowl recipes. I’m telling you I can’t get enough! Who doesn’t love a good burrito bowl! Recipe below!! This recipe does require some multitasking skill so it’s perfect if you have a loved one, family member, or friend to help you out. Or if you’re me you can stir things with two different hands and frantically chop/turn things while your boyfriend just sits there staring at you asking when dinner is going to be ready.
Chicken & Quinoa Burrito Bowls
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 bowls
These healthy burrito bowls are high in protein, easy to make, and a pleasure to eat!
Perfect for a week night dinner! Serve hot.
- 1 cup of Quinoa (1 cup makes enough for four servings)
- 2 Cups of Low Sodium Chicken Broth (or stock)
- 2 Bell Peppers (any color)
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Optional: 1 Jalapeno
- 1 16oz. Can of Black Beans
- 1 16oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1 to 1.5 pounds of thinly sliced Chicken Breasts
- 1 Package of low sodium Taco Seasoning
- 2 Avocados
- Two Plum or Vine tomatoes (I prefer tomatoes on the vine, I think they are juicier and have a better taste)
- 1 Bundle of Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt & Pepper
For the Peppers & Onions
- These take the longest to cook. They need to be reduced down to a nice caramelized color so start them first. Slice your bell peppers, removing the seeds and stems. Remove paper skin and thinly slice red onion. If you are add in jalapeno, remove the stems and seeds/vein (where the heat is held) and finely dice. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium to large, non-stick saute pan over medium heat. After olive oil is warm but not hot add the 1 clove of crushed or finely chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Add peppers and onions (optional jalapeno) and cook until reduced and caramelized. Stir every so often, so nothing burns.
For the Quinoa:
- Cook as package directed but use 2 cups chicken stock instead of water. Once done, move off of heat and fluff with a fork. Divide evenly among 4 bowls/Tupperware. Should be about 1 cup per serving.
For the Black Beans:
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, thoroughly rinse and drain the can of black beans. Add them to a saucepan over medium high heat. Drain half the excess liquid from the can of diced tomatoes/chiles before adding that to the black beans. Cook until bubbly and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir throughout cooking process, and lower heat if it begins to bowl. After the ten minutes or when reduced, lightly mash beans with fork/potato masher until a chunky but spreadable consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper (about a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of each).
For the Chicken:
- Heat a 1/2 tablespoon of EVOO in a medium to large saute pan. While the oil is heating remove the chicken breast from package and transfer to plate or plastic cutting board. Rub taco seasoning on each side of chicken breast. Place chicken breast (in one layer) in the pan once oil is hot. You may need to cook chicken in batches depending on how big your pan is, do not overcrowd your pan. Cook about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Should be browned on both sides and cooked completely through (ain’t no body want raw chicken)!
For the Toppings:
- While the other stuff is cooking (make sure you’re watching so nothing burns) you can prep the toppings. Slice the avocados and dice the tomatoes. Roughly chop the cilantro (as much or as little as you want). Slice the lime into wedges.
Once everything is cooked, evenly divide the ingredients amongst 4 bowls or Tupperware (if you’re meal prepping). Add the toppings: half of the sliced avocado, half of the diced tomato, squeeze of lime, and a sprinkling of cilantro to each bowl.
Snap a pic for Instagram with #DoseofDana of tag me @DoseOfDana in your final product! Let me know if you enjoyed this recipe and subscribe-> for more to come! #DailyDose